Check out our recipes below and please feel free to add your own. These recipes are very helpful to people who may not know how to cook with the ingredients they buy from the market!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Purple Hull Peas with Smoked Sausage (Optional)
Source: Tom Green - Green Acres (Entered by RCM Market Manager)
This recipe uses purple hull peas from Green Acres!
A great recipe for New Years Good Luck!
Serves: Serves 6-8 as a Side
1 Large Onion, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Olive or Vegetable Oil
4 Cups Purple Hull Peas
1 Quart Vegetable or Chicken Broth (Stock)
12-16 Ounces Andouille or Smoked Sausage
Step by Step Instructions
- In a medium skillet or saute pan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened. Transfer the vegetables to a medium saucepan; add peas and chicken broth. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice or dice the sausage and brown in the skillet. Add to the peas, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes longer, or until peas are tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium (a low boil); continue cooking for about 3 to 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add kosher salt and pepper, as needed for flavor.
- Serve the peas with freshly baked cornbread.